Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default OT - Turkeys Voting for Christmas -- was The Lancet's Vaccine Retraction -- A medical journal's role in the autism scare

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:28:51 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Pete Snell" wrote in message
Another good link, but slightly different topic.

http://www.1023.org.uk/the-1023-overdose-event.php

Pete

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In short, vaccines do not cause autism. So, get your shots. And, more
to the point, make sure your kids get their shots.

Speaking of interesting things coming from the UK, the BBC is running a
great radio series about people voting against their own interests, called
"Turkeys Voting for Christmas." The first one is about populist voters in
the US. Sometimes it takes an outsider to see clearly what's going on here,
like de Toqueville's _Democracy in America_:

=========
There is a reason why "I'm from the gumment and I'm here to hep
you" is the punch line in so many jokes.

It should be clear that granting or ceding "government" the right
to decide anything, without also holding the individuals actually
making the decisions civilly and criminally accountable, for the
outcomes of their actions is a sure recipe for disaster and
continual meddling.

In many of these cases we are seeing a difference in taste, and
in other cases a difference in priorities. In other cases we are
seeing simple direct and overt power grabs.

Experience has shown in many cases the most intelligent course of
individual action is to determine what the governmental
bureaucrats, functionaries and apparatchiks want you to do and
then do the exact opposite. The current economy is a case in
point. If the government is not exercising many of its
functions, responsibilities and duties now, why would any sane
person let them acquire additional power and responsibility?

Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).