harrogate

Default cutting hole in ceramic tile

"JimM" wrote in message
Without getting into a flaming war, I agree that a tile cutter is perfect
for cutting straight lines in tiles, it's what I used for 95% of the cut
tiles in our bathroom. However it is crap for cutting curves, intricate
mouldings and cutting sections from the centre of a tile. It's horses for
courses, like asking what do you use to cut a kitchen worktop - a handsaw
will do it, but a router would be a better solution.

As to why Rotozip have stopped being sold - perhaps people don't recognise

good thing when they see it To be slightly less tongue in cheek it was
probably to do with the fact that they were stupidly over priced when they
were first launched and promoted with a hopeless TV ad. I've found mine to
be quite useful although probably not an essential.

If £50 is too much for someone to spend on an additional tool then I don't
have a problem with that. In my case the tiles I liked were not available
with the size of cutout I liked, the next nearest size were £15 each. I
bought plain tiles did the cutouts myself and actually saved money.

Possibly safety? I have the equivalent of the Ferm that is sold by Screwfix.
I have only used it once and managed to break - very easily I would add -
three bits. A bit rotating at 30000 rpm is a pretty violent projectile.
Fortunately I had chosen to wear safety goggles and protective gloves so
would probably have been uninjured had I been hit. But then I've had H&S
training - Joe Public in the main will not have and would probably not think
of it in any other way than like an electric drill.

--
Woody