Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Mike is offline

Default making new copper look aged green

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:16:18 -0000, "Clot"
wrote:

Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:50:03 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

An architect I used to know, claimed that the roofers were
encouraged to pee on the copper roof...

Here copper won't go green anymore, it stays brown. An architect
explained to me it's the lack of sulphur compounds in the air. Used
to be the sulphur in coal used for heating (and ISTR heating oil and
diesel is now low-sulphur) caused the green -- along with acid rain...

I'm staggered that it took so long in the thread to come to this reply.

T'was bleedin obvious to me, though I do have a chemistry degree and have
been involved in environmental pollution issues for many years.

Psst! Anyone got a can of tributyltin they don't want? I just want to keep
the barnacles off the bottom of the boat!

The easiest way is to keep the boat out of the water. Coincidentally
this also means that you don't waste money on mooring fees, or harbour
fees, or diesel. No sea sickness, torn sails, worn out engine,
blocked toilet. Much reduced insurance fees are also a bonus.