Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Does anyone still use lantern toolposts

On 2010-02-02, Ignoramus14738 wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone who has a lathe capable of using a
quick change toolpost like Aloris, would still have any reason to ever
need a lantern toolpost.

My Clausing came without a toolpost, and I put a turret toolpost
which I had on it for a short while, while I ordered a Phase-II Series
200 (pretty much the same as an Aloris BXA), and have never used the
turret toolpost since.

I've seen used lantern toolposts, and never bought them (either
on eBay or in surplus tool piles), even though I could have gotten them
quite inexpensively. (Of course, if I did, I would also have to get
several Armstrong style tool holders which would be (these days) almost
as expensive as the Phase-II.)

I *do* have the lantern style toolpost for my old
Atlas/Craftsman 6x18" lathe -- because when I was using it, I could not
find a properly sized quick-change toolpost.

And the 7" Rockwell/Delta shaper has a lantern style toolpost
too, but that kind does not have tilt built into it, and the tools which
I have for the shaper are appropriate for the holder. It has the
advantage of not adding as much weight to the "clapper box" as any
quick-change toolpost would, and also I don't need to change tools
frequently on the shaper.

My feeling on this matter, without knowing too much, is that lantern
toolposts are obsolete and quick change is the way to go, and there is
never a reason to use these old style tools.

Not on a lathe for which a good quick-change toolpost is
available, at least. On the shaper, it is what works, and the
quick-change is not needed.

Would there be anyone who disagrees with this.

I do not -- with the (non-lathe) caveats above.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564