Posted to rec.woodworking
sam[_9_] sam[_9_] is offline

Default gluing up an old chair

In article ,
says...

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 05:00:13 -0800, billtvt wrote:

First, Rockler (and I'm sure it is available elsewhere) sells a
product that allows you to inject a liquid into loose fitting joints
with a syringe. The liquid swells the wood and tightens the joint. I
haven't tried it, but the representative I spoke with said it really
works well.

I have tried it, and it does. IIRC, its called Chair Doctor.

FWIW, a friend of mine had a chair that was getting loose. Chair doctor
fixed it for a while but then it loosened up again. I offered to tear it
down and reglue it for him, but he's pushing 100 and it's a cheap chair and
he'd rather a quick fix--he figures that at his age _something_ is gonna get
him pretty soon--so I put corner plates between each rail and each leg--it's
been two years now and it's still fine.

I went to Rocklers and they now sell something called
Tite Chairs. It's made of ethyl cyanoacrylate and it
cost 11 bucks. I wonder why I don't just use superglue.