Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Two parties

In article , Upscale wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 18:26:31 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:
That's attacking the problem in the wrong place, anyway: the existence of
guns, in and of itself, isn't a problem. Neither is their possession. The
problem is *misuse* of them. Put people who misuse them in jail and keep them
there, and the problem largely disappears.

The US already has an exceptionally large (and extremely expensive to
run) prison population. Putting people away for extended periods would
cost your country more than it could afford.

A very large part of the reason we have such an exceptionally large prison
population is the absolutely insane policy of jailing drug users who are
demonstrably harming nobody other than themselves.

Prisons [should] exist for one reason only: to protect society by removing
from our midst those who cause harm to others. If Joe Blow wants to get stoned
in the privacy of his living room, it's no business of mine or the rest of
society's. He's harming no one save possibly himself, and there is no
justification whatever for making this a crime.