Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Does anyone still use lantern toolposts

Use your lathe for a while. Eventually, you'll be glad you have the
lantern toolpost.

John Martin

I agree with John.

There are times where the lantern post is used.

TMT

Oh my gawd. I actually agree with TMT on something. Worse yet, Gunner may
agree too.

I once mounted a lantern on a large steel bar bolted to the carriage and had
the tool six inches past the end of the lathe. The part was held in in a
steady rest right at the end of the lathe (plus chuck on other end of
course. So I turned a part longer than the lathe. Rare use, of course, but
try that any other way.

Karl