Posted to alt.home.repair
mdauria mdauria is offline

Default Pellet stoves?

On Feb 2, 10:10*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
On 02/01/2010 10:09 AM, terry wrote:

Friend has been extolling the virtues of a pellet stove owned and
operated by his relative.

He says that it uses about one bag of pellets per-day; which cost
about $5-$6 per bag. $150 to $180 per month? There are occasionally
shortage of fuel pellets. Disposing of the small amount of ash is very
easy and not messy. The stove requires a small amount of electrcity to
operate (drive the auger). Not sure if it also has any warm air
circulating fan?

It is not the sole source of heat in the house and there are the usual
lights and appliances using electricity (which then becomes heat)
within the house.

Obtaining the fuel, a pallet load at a time requires either delivery
by truck or the use of one own pickup etc. Not the sort of thing you
can pick up at the s.market and sling eight or ten bags in trunk of a
car, on a regular basis! Although that's what one would do if
necessary during a shortage.

As far as we know the pellets are not made (yet anyway) in this area
and have to be trucked in; also the pellet stove cannot as far as we
know burn anything else. e.g. scrap wood?

Interested in any other comments or expereience with these pellet
stoves. Thanks.

I have a Napoleaon pellet stove that works quite well. I only use it in
spring and fall because of its easy starting and continious running all
night and variable temp control. But I has to be cleaned every month if
I use it all the time. I prefer my wood boiler from December to March.
With gravity hot water circulation it works with or without power I have
to clean it's stove pipe and boiler tubes monthly but I don't mine that.
Pellets around here are $230 to $250 a ton. Hauling a ton of pellets and
stacking it in the basement is easier than stacking 4 cords of wood.
The name of the game is 'Renewable Energy" and Wood and pellets are just
that. Propane, coal, gas, oil are dirtier and C02 contributors.
Pellets and wood are carbon neutral. If the all cost about the same I
prefer renewables even if they are a little work, something none of us
get enough of. So stay healthy and work a little.- Hide quoted text -

natural gas is dirtier than wood? I never would have guessed that, you
walk around outside here sometimes and the wood smoke will choke you.