Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Does anyone still use lantern toolposts

Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus14738 wrote:

I was just wondering if anyone who has a lathe capable of using a
quick change toolpost like Aloris, would still have any reason to
ever need a lantern toolpost.

My feeling on this matter, without knowing too much, is that lantern
toolposts are obsolete and quick change is the way to go, and there
is never a reason to use these old style tools.

Would there be anyone who disagrees with this.

The only advantage I can see to the lantern style is cost.

Small lathe , small part , sometimes that QCTP is just too damn big to do
the job . I have one about 3/4 finished (needs dovetails and piston bores) ,
but just don't feel the real need for it in most cases . Others who have
larger more rigid lathes may feel differently ...

--
Snag
Wards 94TLC2136