Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Chapman Roger Chapman is offline

Default ground source heating

JimK wrote:

snip

On a connected topic there is a particular form of plough used to make a
form of land drain. Can anyone tell me what it is called please. We have
a very boggy hollow that really needs draining presumably because the
land drain has collapsed. I can't find the actually drain but even if I
could I lack the resolve to dig out and rebuild what might be as much as
100 yards of drain having spent a couple of weeks last Autumn on a
section less than 15 yards long.

are you trying to actually create a drain with this plough? or break
up the so called "pan" between subsoil and topsoil with a "subsoiler"
plough?

The source of the water is only really a seep which is why I didn't
manage to find where it has come from when I dug for it a year or two
back. I was hoping than ploughing a 'molehole' would provide sufficient
to drain a puddle than always forms in front of a particular gateway at
the beginning of winter.

Land drains in these parts consist of 2 walls about 6" apart and 6" high
built of loose pieces of local stone covered by a selection of larger
stones. The Romans built drains that way but considerably better
constructed. Most around here are either collapsed or silted up, or even
ploughed out when traditional grassland was ploughed up during WW2.