Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best Drill Bit For Gummy Aluminum?

On Jan 31, 12:47*am, Doug White wrote:

The stick stuff is a good idea, but I think I'll start with TiN & see how
that goes. *I can get split point TiN drills pretty cheap. *These will
eventually get left at the range house, and the fewer pieces the better. *
If I buy some stick lube, it will go walkabout in no time. *The drill
bits are small enough that they should last a while.

Doug White

You probably have figured out that most anything you put on the drill
bit will help and last until it is worn off. Silicon grease is one of
the harder things to get off surfaces that one is going to paint, so I
suspect it would be a winner here if it were in your shop.

But since part of the problem is not having the " fix " disappear, I
would try any kind of wax mixed with some medium weight oil in
container that is likely to leak if put in a pocket. A short wide
mouth glass jam jar would work. Candles, floor wax, stick lube
( removed from the cardboard tube ) would all work mixed with ATF, 30
weight oil, Chain saw bar oil, way oil, or bacon fat.

Dan