Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Des Bromilow Des Bromilow is offline

Default help sought with tempering spring steel rod

On Feb 2, 1:58*am, spaco wrote:
Here's one more opinion:

Why not take it to the local spring guy after you have shaped it?

We'd love to have the spring guy deal with it - he's the pro and quite
good at it, but he's on the way to closing down. - typical story -
urban encroachment surrounding his workshop, new houses full of
whinging greenies who complain about the smell and noise of the
machinery/forges - and with the various govt "suggestions" about
taking the older vehicles (mostly trucks) off the road, the newer ones
having air springs, he's pretty much out of work, and out of the
nieghbourhood.
He's lucky to work 8 hours per week spread over two or three days so
it's pretty much a given we can't use him for much longer.

The piece is to replace a seat part in a veteran motorcycle, so
appearance and function is what we're aiming for. We'll go with the
firebrick forge/hearth and try and make it work.

Thanks All,
Des