Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall Adrian Brentnall is offline

Default ground source heating

Roger Chapman wrote:
Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Mr Sandman wrote:

It sounds like you can get useful heat from that size of lake, i
have just installed a GSHP on my place which is 170sqm of floor
space. Its a 2kw/12kw Heat Pump, but we use 600m of ground loop,
some of it in a well.

600m seems a lot. Is that the normal sort of length for a ground loop
and (without the well) how much land would be needed?

We have the same size of collector - 6 x 100m pipes,
in 3 trenches - comes back to a pair of manifolds (one flow & one
return so individual loops can be isolated if required...

TNT's advice was that pipes should be at least 2m apart so did your
installer dig 2m wide trenches or work to a lower limit?

It was a few years back......
but I'm fairly sure that the trenches were about that wide
- big bucket on the digger! Can't really remember the layout of the
pipes in each trench - they were laid flat not 'slinky' style

Can't find a photo that shows the tranches - but definitely 6 loops x
100m each

Actual depth of the pipes varies -probably 5 - 8 ft depending on the
slope of the land...