Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay-T[_5_] Jay-T[_5_] is offline

Default Cast iron radiator bleeder valve port(s)

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Jay-T"
wrote:

Thanks. I'm not too worried about trying this. The system is not under
that much pressure and the screw is at the top of the radiator, whereas
the
existing bleeder valve is halfway up the side of the heater. I can easily
just open the bleeder valve first to relieve any pressure.

That, by itself, will *not* depressurize the system.

So, the system being open to atmospheric pressure won't depressurize the
system? -- meaning having the pressure within the system be equal to the
pressure on the outside of the system? You appear to be missing an
understanding of basic physics here.

There are no
radiators above this one or even above the bleeder valve height, so I
don't
need to worry about water from above draining out of that bleeder port.

No, you just need to worry about scalding water under pressure. If you
don't
understand what the possible sources of pressure are, you should not be
attempting to do this yourself.

You appear to be mistaken about how the system actually works. Using your
advice, one would never even be able to bleed the radiators in the system
due to an irrational fear of scalding water under pressure. With all due
respect, you appear to not know what you are talking about here.