Posted to rec.woodworking

Default gluing up an old chair

On 2/1/2010 6:53 PM anne watson spake thus:

An antique dealer I used to work for swore by using strips torn from
bandages. She disassembled the chair enough to get to the glue joints,
scraped off the old glue, then wrapped the end with the bandage pieces,
applied plenty of glue. OPnce it was all clamped back together, she used a
sharp knife to cut away the excess bandage material and let it all dry.

Worked for her. She said the key was to get all of the old glue out so the
new glue could bind it all together.

That actually doesn't sound like a bad way to approach it.

The problem with the OP's attempts to reglue the spindles is that you
can't just pour or smear more glue on a bad joint and expect it to hold.
To do it right, you really need to disassemble the joint and clean it,
as you said. Now you're undoubtedly left with a joint with a gap, so you
need to fill the gap.

I actually think the bandage idea, as weird as it sounds, is a lot
better than, say, trying to get sawdust mixed with glue in there, though
even that would be better than nothing.

And please don't let's anyone suggest epoxy, Bondo or such. It should be
possible to fix this with the normal wood adhesives.

"sam" wrote in message

I'm using a very standard old wooden chair for my
desk (it feels good, for some reason), but the dowels
that hold it together have come loose.

- a Usenet "apology"