Posted to rec.woodworking
xparatrooper xparatrooper is offline

Default Rethinking my mobile bases

On Feb 1, 6:44*pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:33:25 -0800, xparatrooper wrote:
Timely topic.. * just got done making a half-dozen rolling platforms for
my own tool collection. *Turns out you can get some semi-decent casters
these days for $5 - $10 each instead of years past where they were $25+
each.

Are those locking casters? *If so, do they lock both wheel and swivel?

Of the 4 per base, I only got 2 that both swivel and lock, and the
locking mechanism locks the swivel as well as the wheel. The
"swivelers" set me back about $7 each, and the stationary casters were
about $5 each. And since these are Alaska prices where things are
generally more than the "lower 48", I am operating on the assumption
that similar casters would be even less in other places.

The ratings were in the neighborhood of 250#.

Of course, could be that the hardware store goofed up on the price.