Posted to alt.home.repair
Borrall Wonnell[_2_] Borrall Wonnell[_2_] is offline

Default Framing around a jack post

On Feb 1, 4:41*pm, dpb wrote:

As somebody else said, just frame it w/ 2x6 instead of 2x4; won't be
enough difference in material cost to matter and saves much other pita
machinations.

Oddly enough, I've actually got space to do this in one case. I'd
still have to use a hole saw for top/bottom plates and split-fit
around the post, but at least there'd be a continuous surface.

For the other instance, there just isn't any room to put a 2x6. The
wall will already be uncomfortably close to my cleanout/drain.

Ditto on that poster's remarks jack post as well.

There are two things working against that idea:
1) My terminology may be incorrect. What I'm calling a jack post is a
hollow steel post that has a threaded cylinder at the top for height
adjustability.
I hadn't even heard of a lally column until today (either nobody
around here uses 'em, or nobody calls 'em lally columns). Perhaps
we're talking about the same thing, only in different jurisdictions
(think North).
2) The jack posts are already a fixture and I don't see the point of
replacing them. It is likely that they are resting on concrete
footings poured specifically for them, so I'm not sure what the
problem would be (see #1).