Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Pellet stoves?

On Feb 1, 1:55*pm, "Not@home" wrote:
When I was really young, we heated with coal, which meant I learned
early to shovel more coal in and to bank the fire at night so it
wouldn't go out. *But everytime we missed a feeding, it went out and had
to be restarted.

Then we got a coal burner with an automatic feeder; what a labor saver.

I think the pellet stove offers the same advantage over a traditional
wood burner, as the ones I have seen are self feeding. *So how much
money is it worth to be freed from constantly feeding the furnace?

Pellet burners aren't as pretty as a nice woodburner, but I think they
are the most efficient way to heat with wood. *Of course, around here we
aren't permitted to heat with wood, so we all use gas.

terry wrote:
Friend has been extolling the virtues of a pellet stove owned and
operated by his relative.

He says that it uses about one bag of pellets per-day; which cost
about $5-$6 per bag. $150 to $180 per month? There are occasionally
shortage of fuel pellets. Disposing of the small amount of ash is very
easy and not messy. The stove requires a small amount of electrcity to
operate (drive the auger). Not sure if it also has any warm air
circulating fan?

It is not the sole source of heat in the house and there are the usual
lights and appliances using electricity (which then becomes heat)
within the house.

Obtaining the fuel, a pallet load at a time requires either delivery
by truck or the use of one own pickup etc. Not the sort of thing you
can pick up at the s.market and sling eight or ten bags in trunk of a
car, on a regular basis! Although that's what one would do if
necessary during a shortage.

As far as we know the pellets are not made (yet anyway) in this area
and have to be trucked in; also the pellet stove cannot as far as we
know burn anything else. e.g. scrap wood?

Interested in any other comments or expereience with these pellet
stoves. Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Hello,

You didnot have a coal stove with a hopper. The new coal stoves with
hoppers can last two days without any attention.

Truly

Truth will set you free: John 8:32