Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay-T[_7_] Jay-T[_7_] is offline

Default Cast iron radiator bleeder valve port(s)

I bought a small used cast iron radiator about 6 months (about 12 inches
wide by 24 inches high). I finally connected it up to the hot water heating
system in an apartment that I will be renting out.

But, when I went to bleed the radiator, I noticed that the bleeder valve is
in the end of the radiator only about half way up from the floor (about 12
inches up). That means I cannot bleed the air out of the top half of the
radiator. After thinking about it, I figured out that it probably used to
be a steam radiator that had a steam valve at that height. I guess they
replaced the steam valve with a bleeder port and called it a hot water
radiator.

At the top of the radiator on one end in the corner there is a flat head
screw going into the radiator. I am guessing that I could try taking out
the flat head screw and replacing it with a bleeder valve there. Does that
sound about right?

I am hesitant to mess with the screw. I don't know how hard it will be to
get out although my first try broke a screwdriver tip before anything
happened with the screw. I am thinking about heating the screw with a torch
first before trying to get it out.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

I also thought that "there oughta be something" -- like a piece of small
tubing etc. -- that I could attach to the existing bleeder valve from the
inside that could be fed from there up to the top of the inside of the
radiator. I assume that no such thing exists, but that seems like it would
be a way to bleed the air from the top of the radiator rather than from the
middle.

P.S. I also just posted this question at
http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-cat.../THE-MAIN-WALL .