Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default More noise about climate

Morris Dovey wrote:
On 2/1/2010 12:29 AM, LDosser wrote:

You've probably guessed that I'm one of those people who're easily
amused.

Here, for your dining and dancing entertainment, is Matsunari-San
and the Luminescent Pigs!

url might be useful

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18729767

Confirmed: I _am_ easily amused!

Just remembering a farm neighbor (whose pigs were fixated on becoming
free-range porkers) saying: "If you see one of my pigs, kick it - it's
either loose, trying to get loose, or thinking about getting loose."

By their fluorescence shall ye know them.

More seriously, I can see this as a (possibly) useful research
tracking tool.

Here's a red fluorescent cat
http://www.conncoll.edu/ccacad/zimme...ooluses7b.html, and a green
one
http://blog.syracuse.com/healthfitne...ed_by_gen.html.
Note that these and the red pigs and the green pigs and here's a news video
which shows fluorescent piglets (note--you have to sit through an ad first).
There are also fluorescent rabbits about--the only photo I can find is
http://www.viz.tamu.edu/faculty/lurleen/air/kac.htm and since it's an
artist's site, even though the guy did own a genetically modified rabbit at
one time the photo may still be doctored.

All of these though are using a fluorescent protein that only lights up
under UV--it's not a luciferin-luciferase reaction.