Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Faulty dehumidifier

on 01/02/2010, PeterD supposed :
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 14:04:28 -0000, "Toby"
wrote:

"PeterD" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:35:13 -0000, "Toby"
wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
m...
I have a portable dehumidifier (Wickes own brand; I think it's a
compressor model?) about 18 months old which has stopped working.

The humidistat appears to be working in that if you turn it up, it
clicks
in and the dehumidifer motor starts working; however the water output
container remains bone-dry.

Any thoughts as to what might be wrong, and whether it's repairable or a
bin job?

Thanks
David

If you have the receipt, a card statement, or anything that proves when
you
bought it (Like a manufacturing date on it, as it is an own brand), it's a
take it back to the shop job, under your rights as detailed in the sale of
goods act.

Consumer goods in GB have a lifetime warranty? That's interesting...

Where did I say that?

Well, he's had it for a year and a half, so I'd say it was out of
warranty. Certainly around here, a year is about the limit on such
warranties.

The "Sale of goods act" might be a good thing, but does it really
apply? (I don't know, so I'm really asking!)

It legally has to last for as long as a reasonable person would expect
it to last, upto a limit of six years. This is subject to how much wear
and tear it has received and how much was paid for the item. You would
not expect a cheap poor quality item to give as good service as a
quality item. The claim is against the seller, rather than the
manufacturer and once out of the usual guaranteed period - you may only
get a proportion of the cost of repair.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)