Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Job box in DropBox

I have a HON vertical file about 6' tall (not portable), and it's equipped
with a feature that only allows one drawer to be out/extended.
The front of the drawers are open, so I rarely need to roll them out, it's
used more as a shelving unit for my purposes.

There is a self-rewinding spool mounted to the rear panel, that has some
nylon cord strung thru eyelets at each drawer level, and the back of the
drawers.
Since there is only enough cord length to allow one drawer to be out, it
prevents other drawers from being pulled out.
The backs of the drawers are full height, so something hanging out the back
getting fouled in the cord is not likely to happen.

It's about as foolproof as any system can be.. no mechanical latches to
stick, or not latch, or be defeated.

I agree, Bob's retrofit of drawers makes much better use of the storage
space. Effective use of storage space generally requires considerable
effort, Bob's effort was well applied.

If the front legs were pitched a little forward, or had flat steel feet that
extended forward (either which may be considered a trip hazard), the
likelyhood of a forward tip-over would be even more unlikely, in my
guesstimation.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/JobBox.pdf

A nice job.

Anyway -- it looks to me as though a fifth leg, welded to the
outer end of the door, would provide just that extra margin of safety if
it *did* start to tip. Too much overloaded and overextended, it would
still tip over, but at the margin it would give support while you
quickly pushed a drawer or two in. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564