Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Why aren't refrigerators & freezers designed to benefit from outside cold air?

In article , Bill wrote:

A large number of ways to reduce electricity consumption, including but
not limited to disconnecting from power when-not-in-use the many things
that draw half a watt to a dozen watts when not doing anything,

including:

Switch for microwave. Off when not in use. (These use more electricity when
off than on. The clock is always on and this uses more electricity than you
use to periodically heat something up. It adds up to leave something on
24/7!)

My microwave clock, including the power supply stuff for the microwave's
control electronics, draws 1 to 2 watts (reads 1 watt on my Kill-A-Watt
meter).

If 2 watts is the case, then it draws 48 watt-hours in a day. That is
20 cents a month or a bit more, almost $2.50 per year, with my electric
rate in suburban Philadelphia. I would switch it off with a power
strip when not in use, except that I like to have that clock on.

Although your other posted material makes sense and I agree with it
including disconnecting those low-power continuously-running loads, I take
issue with the microwave consuming more energy when not being used than it
does when it is being used.

My microwave consumes maybe 48 watt-hours per day when it is not being
used. It consumes a good 1300 watts when it is heating something up at
full power. That amounts to 48 watt-hours in 2 minutes 13 seconds.

On the other hand, if I did not powerstrip-switch my printer, it
probably would consume more energy when it is not being used than it does
when it is.

- Don Klipstein )