Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Bathtub Stopper--Slow Leak

Ed Sievers wrote:
I didn't find anything on this in the archives (surprisingly)....so here
goes: My daughter's tub in the Master Bath (her home is about 6 years
old) has a slow stopper leak. It started this at about 4+ years of
age. I have replaced the (very small cross-section) O-ring a couple of
times to no avail. I lubed the new O-ring and was very careful with it
both times I installed a new one. The stopper assembly has a
vertical/concentric guide pin to keep it centered and the only downward
force to keep water in the tub is the weight of the stopper .... (and
the water above it, I guess.) It seems to be loose and free enough on
the guide pin. She says if she just rests her heel on it, it doesn't
leak and she can "put up with it" ......but of course, if/when the house
is sold it will sure have to be fixed (it's audible with the tub 1/2
full or so.) Question: Is there a tool to resurface the sealing
surface on the tub-portion of the drain ass'y (looks to be about a
45-degree angle)? There is nothing obvious to the eye, and it feels
smooth. The only thing I tried was to go over it with some 4/0 steel
wool to try to shine it up a bit.....but the leak lives on. : ^)
Any suggestions? Perhaps a full-up plumbing supply would have O-rings
with a softer "durometer" than the ones I have been buying at the "Big
Box" store....but I haven't checked that out yet. TIA. Ed Sievers in TX

What is your time worth? Change out the assembly and be done with it.

--
aem sends...