Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Clothes Dryer Caution

On Jan 31, 8:52*am, JKevorkian wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 08:22:46 -0500, wrote:
Hi,

* *If you use dryer sheets in your clothes dryer, *remove the lint filter.
After you remove the lint, run water into the filter. *If you see puddles
of water, *that is due to the invisible film caused by the dryer sheets.
At least once every 6 months, *use hot soapy water and a tooth brush
or other type of brush and clean the filter.

* There has been cases where this blocked filter has caused a
failure in the heating element. *Also, there is the possibility that it can
cause a fire.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *John

I can't understand people's fascination with fabric softeners. *They're dumping
a load of toxic chemicals onto their clothing and then wearing them to allow the
skin to absorb the nasty gunk - sorta like a nicotine patch.
Besides the health risk, fabric softeners inhibit the material's ability to
absorb water by coating the fibers with chemicals. *I use old towels to dry my
cars after washing, and early on I noticed that the towels would more or less
just push the water around instead of sucking it up. When the car finally dried,
you could see the streaks on the surface where the chemical residues from the
towels had remained. *Same goes for polishing the wax off the car - using a
terry-cloth towel that was washed with fabric softener, the wax job looked like
it was buffed with a mini-notched trowel. *The fabric simply couldn't do the job
for which it was intended. *I haven't used Downy or Bounce or Sta-Puf or any of
those toxic-waste-dumps in a bottle for years, and I really enjoy the feeling
when the towel I used after showering dries me off. *Isn't that what it's
supposed to do?
If you ask me, fabric softeners are a huge waste of money.

Same sorta thing here. Am complaining to s.market that one cannot
(except rarely) buy dish detergent and sometimes laundry detergent
also, that do not contain that darn 'pseudo lemony smell' whatever
chemical it happens to be. Personally not allergic to it but don't
like the artificial smell it imparts.
Also it may just be another pollutant to the environment? We don't use
dryer sheets; wonder why anybody would bother! And again more
chemicals, no wonder we have such high rates of asthma and allergies
etc.