Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default fluorescent bulbs flickering - why is this so hard?

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 19:56:29 -0800 (PST), Charlie
wrote:

So, in my laundry I have two, two bulb units, installed at the same
time.

Over the past 10 years, I've swapped out various bulbs. But one
fixture simply will not illuminate the bulbs (flicker, partial
ignition). These are relatively new electonic ballasts, no starters
and are at room temperature.

In short to edit for space, not fixed by changing bulbs or ballasts

Are you sure you have a good solid ground?

If all bulbs partially light at least somewhat over their entire
lengths, as opposed to glowing only at their ends or not at all,
then the problem is not grounding.

Most likely, you have the wrong type ballast for the bulbs or the wrong
type bulbs for the ballast.

Possibly, you have a bad socket ("lampholder" or "tombstone"), or a bad
connection in or near one of those.

The fixture may be wried incorrectly - especially if the questioned
electronic ballast replaced a non-electronic one.

If you can rule these out, make sure the ballast is receiving proper
voltage. (But I remember somewhat 123V from earlier in this thread?)
(Make sure the ballast is a 120V one.)

- Don Klipstein )