Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default paint peels over wood putty fix

"Colbyt" writes:
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
On Jan 28, 11:32 pm, blueman wrote:
internaughtfull writes:

My solution for outside is to always use an epoxy-based product (Bondo
is OK but it tends to be more brittle and not attach as well to wood
which over time results in separation from the wood when it repeatedly
expands & contracts). It's more expensive but should be a more permanent
and professional solution.

Could you suggest such an epoxy-based product? I have an oak doorsill
that shouldn't have been termite infested, but it was. I scraped out
all the crud that
I could, and drowned it in termite killer. Been years, and I have
not yet
repaired the damage and stained the area (assuming it will take a
stain).
Have been monitoring the pro- and anti-Bondo discussions with growing
confusion.

West Systems at this page: http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

is the epoxy product that I used. It turns soft wood into petrified wood in
about an hour.

Multiple coats may be required. Then I used Bondo to fill the holes.

After the spring thaw grin I will go take some pictures of the project I
did 7-8 years ago and see how it is holding up

Once you are going the route of West Systems, why not also use West
System Epoxy (with the appropriate filler) to fill the voids?

I find that Bondo does not adhere nearly as well and is not nearly as
strong which can result in the patch separating from the surrounding
wood. The epoxy patch can be drilled and depending on the filler can
have good structural strength which is not true for Bondo. Also, I find
the West System epoxy plus filler to be much easier to sculpt and
sand. Finally, the thing that I hate about Bondo is that it is very
sticky and difficult to work with. More importantly, Bondo just dries way
too fast (a couple of minutes) meaning that I often don't have enough
time to sculpt the patch nicely before it starts to dry and I have to
keep running back to clean off my tools and make multiple small batches
in my fight against drying time.

Now Bondo is a bit cheaper than epoxy, but not that much when you
consider that the fillers for West System are pretty cheap and stretch
your volume of epoxy.