Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why aren't refrigerators & freezers designed to benefit fromoutside cold air?

On Jan 29, 3:15*pm, "Bill" wrote:
That is a *very* good question!

I would say the answer is that in the past, it has not mattered. Electric
rates have been low in the past and it would have been silly to bother.

But now the electric and energy rates are quite high, so time to think about
these things...

And I'd say it still matter not a wit. As I previously posted, the
TOTAL annual electric usage of a new 23 cft refrigerator, with ice and
water at the door is around $95. And that's here in NJ, with
electricity around 17c KWH. So, where is the big savings to be had?

This is something I have thought about and would like to incorporate into my
kitchen design when I remodel it.

Basically it would be with the design of the house, not the refrigerator. I
would place the refrigerator on an outside wall. Perhaps build a
"compartment" for it sort of like a closet. Just the front doors showing
through. Then upper and lower vents on the outside wall so the cold outside
air could circulate around the refrigerator in the winter. And fine mesh
screen over these vents so bugs can't crawl in. Maybe be able to close these
vents if it gets too cold outside so the refrigerator portion will not go
below freezing.

And I'll bet that by the time it's all done. you'll LOSE money
because:

A - There will be enough leakage of air and energy that more than
offset the gain

B - The incremental cost of installing and maintaining all this
nonsense is more than you gain.

Then whe have little issues like people don't want to design their
kitchen around your idea of where the refrigerator has to go instead
of just putting the fridge where it makes the most sense
ergonomically, just to save $5 a year.

I do have my freezer in the garage and it is quite cold out there in the
winter. It runs very little.

Note that if you have electric heating, it would be pointless to do this.
The heat from the refrigerator would help to heat the house. So in that case
no point in venting it to the outside.

More illogical conclusions. It doesn't matter whether the house is
heated with electric, heat pump, gas or a wood stove. The only issue
is in the grand scheme of things is $5 or $10 a year worth it?

And in the summer it would get tricky. I have not thought about this.

Obviously

But
you could be paying to cool the house. And there might be times when it is
very hot outside. Other times it would be cooler outside. Perhaps use the
cool inside air as an intake for the coils of the refrigerator, but vent the
warm output air to the outside? But if cooler outside at night than in the
house, switch to using outside air.

And use the cool inside air to surround the refrigerator if that is cooler
than outside.

And how much is that whole system going to cost compared to the small
savings? My fridge uses a whopping $95 a year in electricity.

Geez, now I know why Best Buy sells so many extended warranty
contracts.