Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Chainsaw sharpening

On Jan 30, 9:18*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 21:33:05 -0800, "Steve B"

wrote:

wrote in message
news
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 21:01:00 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

What's the short answer for DIY saw sharpening?

The short answer is "Dremel tool and the right stone for your chain".
I had 2 file and gauge type sharpeners and I will never use them
again. I gave the nice one away and I keep the simple one in the box
in case I don't have power.

About a year ago, I saw Dremel stones in a thrift shop for a dime apiece..
There were about a dozen. *Inch to inch and a quarter long, small diameter.
They have a hole in them, but no shaft. *I believe they are the same
diameter as my file. *I will check tomorrow. *Does Dremel make a shaft that
you move from stone to stone? *It would have to be perfectly centered to
work right. *If not that, I have a big set of carbide burrs, and maybe one
of those would be the same diameter. *I have talked to a couple of people
who had the Dremels, one with a battery operated one, IIRC, and they said
they were the cat's meow. *I have a Foredom shaft drive that I could use
instead of the DeWalt 18.

Steve

The ones I have are purpose built for sharpening chain saws and the
stem is on the stone. There are 3 sizes so be sure you get the one to
go with your chain. They were 2 for $7 at Ace Hardware the last time I
bought them
I think most rotary tools use the same bits.- Hide quoted text -

Don't you need the guide to set the depth of the stone also?

Harry K