Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] nobody@nowhere.org is offline

Default New employee test for "metalworking skills"

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 23:48:34 -0500, "Buerste"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
There you go. The two level interview.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Buerste" wrote in message

Yep, I've been snookered a few times but no big deal. I
have a 90 day
probationary period and the head of the union will tell me
if the guy's a
worker or not and he wants his people to be a good team.

This guy gets it! He knows that the prosperity of the company is directly
related to his income. We use a production bonus system and the people can
double their pay checks if they work hard and suffer few breakdowns. Each
job is dependent on other people doing their job right. If there's a
slacker in the chain, other people's bonus suffers...they don't like that!
Therefore, peer pressure helps keep people on-time, sober, focused and
productive.

I built a railroad yard for a lumber mill and they used that business
model. It was only a 4 month contract (that I was there), but they
had a lot of employee injuries. Too many if you ask me. If any link
in the production chain broke, the entire operation came to a
screeching halt. Busting ass to catch back up was when the injuries
happened. That and pushing the limits to make the bonus. How do you
balance those aspects to keep injuries to a minimum?

And to add some metal working content, there is a lot of really cool
machinery in a lumber mill! Everything is timed like a watch with
product moving from raw trees to finished product in one plant. The
millwrights who keep that show running are worth their weight in gold.
I found the place facinating. I suspect your company is similar to
that.

Newb