Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default New employee test for "metalworking skills"

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 21:47:36 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 09:43:01 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Most weren't
working, all waiting for the union electrician who could legally plug
a cord into an outlet, since they were barred from doing so. And on it
goes.

And the electricians were barred from moving freight. When crafts respect
each other's jobs, there's more work.

Sure there's more work. Only the "work" is falsely billing employers
for time waiting for the electrician, or somebody like him. (Did I
just say that?) 87 guys waiting around FOR HOURS for one of two
Sparkies. Brilliant planning. And when 'plugging an extension cord
into a power strip outlet designed specifically for it' becomes a
"craft", I'll eat my shorts.

You might have observed for a day or
two, but you didn't learn much.

The convention business in Vegas is dismal. Light years away from what it
was decades ago. Out of towners, and under the table deals.

Steve, who retired with 37 yrs. Teamster Union, a decent pension, and
continuing good benefits.

You may have retired with 37 years, but you didn't learn much.

Like I said, I learned my lesson with the Teamsters early on. YMMV

And yet you contradict yourself with the statement that I didn't learn much.
I learned enough to get myself into a department that was performance based
(the only one there), and to work from bare floor to bare floor while the
other crews worked helter skelter and intermittently.

Huh? What I learned was ABOUT them, that they were scammers. I didn't
learn anything FROM them.

You may have learned something from your experience with the Las Vegas
Teamsters. But it wasn't "Shut up and do what you're told". When you do
that, it goes better. And you get more hours. Notice I said "hours" and
not "work".

You're unbelieveable, Steve. Weren't you just talking about hiring
people with ethics? What you've just recommended is the total opposite
of that.

Soldiers who do what they are told fare better than those who
don't and have to question every order. They either get sent down the road
or killed.

It's interesting that you used that particular analogy, Steve, given
the known syndicate backing of the Unions.

--
Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire,
you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.