Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default paint peels over wood putty fix

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
On Jan 28, 11:32 pm, blueman wrote:
internaughtfull writes:

My solution for outside is to always use an epoxy-based product (Bondo
is OK but it tends to be more brittle and not attach as well to wood
which over time results in separation from the wood when it repeatedly
expands & contracts). It's more expensive but should be a more permanent
and professional solution.

Could you suggest such an epoxy-based product? I have an oak doorsill
that shouldn't have been termite infested, but it was. I scraped out
all the crud that
I could, and drowned it in termite killer. Been years, and I have
not yet
repaired the damage and stained the area (assuming it will take a
stain).
Have been monitoring the pro- and anti-Bondo discussions with growing
confusion.

West Systems at this page: http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

is the epoxy product that I used. It turns soft wood into petrified wood in
about an hour.

Multiple coats may be required. Then I used Bondo to fill the holes.

After the spring thaw grin I will go take some pictures of the project I
did 7-8 years ago and see how it is holding up

--
Colbyt