Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is power factor, anyhow?

On 2010-01-30, wrote:

Actually he's right as far as using the instantaneous voltage and
current and doing the integration. *That gives the true power. *

I think we are in agreement, I guess I just wasn't clear. *If you
integrate V*A over a time interval, you get energy. *So to get true
power, you need to divide by the length of the time interval. *Which
is why I suggested integrating over an interval of 1 second.

Cheers, Wayne

Yes, I agree. We're thinking the same thing, but I was a little off
there too After doing the integral, you do have to divide by the
time interval, whether it's one cycle or one sec, etc.