Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default fluorescent bulbs flickering - why is this so hard?

Try pulling / pushing the wires going into each bulb socket. These can be
loose.

"Charlie" wrote in message
So, in my laundry I have two, two bulb units, installed at the same
time.

Over the past 10 years, I've swapped out various bulbs. But one
fixture simply will not illuminate the bulbs (flicker, partial
ignition). These are relatively new electonic ballasts, no starters
and are at room temperature.

Change the bulbs: nope, still flickers.
Take the old bulbs, put them in the unit that works fine. Both bulbs
work fine.

Check the line voltage for the misbehaving fixtu solid at 123V.
Verified grounds, cleaned, made sure no paint.

Okay, what the heck - new bulbs. Still flickering.

Must be the ballast - replace it. STILL FLICKERS.

Okay, at this point I'm left with the conclusion that it has to be one
of the bulb sockets. Right? Clean them with contact cleaner - still
flickers.

So, one has to be bad, or is there something else? How often do
sockets fail?

Whipped by a fixture