Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Drywall Pricing?

benick wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
Mike Paulsen wrote:
Ivan wrote:
I need to replace drywall in my basement. I understand it comes in
regular, mold-resistant, and greenboard varieties, and I want to find
their relative prices. But I could not find that info via Google or
in the Homedepot and Lowes Websites. (Prices of drywall nails,
screws, tools, spackle, spackling tape, corner moldings, etc are
listed in exhausting detail, but prices of drywall itself are not in
evidence.) Where can I get this info?

Drywall prices fluctuate. Your best bet is to just pick up the phone
and give them a call.

Only drywall I would even consider for basement use, unless I lived in
a desert, is that new stuff (yellow, around here) with non-paper
facing. Damp drywall is a PITA.

--
aem sends...

Ditto on the fiberglass faced...The only draw back is that the whole
sheet has to be skimmed...You also have to use JUST the setting type
compounds and mold resistant Fibatape as they don't mold like regular
drywall mud and paper tape...It is a whole system....If that route is to
much for you get the mold resistant rock and tape as you normally
would...HTH...

Personally, I prefer bare concrete in a basement. It's a BASEMENT. But
if the walls must be covered, I'd go with paneling of some sort,
probably attached in some way that it can be non-destructively removed.
(Think panels hung like a curtain from sill plate, or a cleat up high.)
Things below grade have a nasty habit of leaking, or at least getting damp.

--
aem sends...