Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New employee test for "metalworking skills"

Let the Record show that "Buerste" on or about
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 21:26:44 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
Let the Record show that " on or
about Fri, 29 Jan 2010 06:52:53 -0800 (PST) did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Jan 29, 3:39 am, "RogerN" wrote:

Couldn't you also be weeding out the best employees in the raw? I've
seen a
lot of burnt out experienced employees get preferred over a newbie
although
in a year or two sometimes the newbie goes far beyond the experienced
burnout.

RogerN

Lots of companies want specific experience and should be more open
minded. But it sounds like Tom's test of measuring the length of
lines falls into general knowledge. I once did not hire a high school
graduate that did not know how many inches were in a foot. I do not
think he would have turned out to be one of our best employees.

As bizarre as it sounds, I did work with a guy who could not read a
steel tape. Kind of a handclap when it came to measuring things
around the shop.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Not bizarre at all! Did you ever try to teach somebody to read a tape that
has no concept of fractions?

Can't say.

Do not know, so cannot say.

I would wager it get a little bit difficult when they're missing
that little detail.
-