Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Best Drill Bit For Gummy Aluminum?

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 00:43:05 +0000, Doug White wrote:

"Artemus" wrote in -
september.org:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

Just nail through the @#$% metal?

Roofers nail aluminum flashing all day with aluminum nails and it
certainly didn't take jigs, tooling, or much training to get even the
newest hires doing this. Art

They are nailing small clips to the edge of a 1x3, and without the
holes, they make a mess of it. Don't ask me how, I don't know. I need
to make this completely idiot proof so I don't have to deal with it in
the future.

Doug White

It seems to me (sitting here in my armchair, yards from my shop) that it
may be easier to make a jig to pre-punch the holes. I.e. hold the part,
locate the holes, let you pre-bash a nail or equivalent through them to
get 'em started.

I could see getting fancy and making something that punches all necessary
holes with one stroke of a lever, or something as crude as a few holes in
some angle, through which you run a nail and bash away.

--
www.wescottdesign.com