Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_3_] Steve B[_3_] is offline

Default New employee test for "metalworking skills"

Steve B wrote:
"David R.Birch" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
But, would you prefer an employee that knows nothing but is able and
willing to quickly learn everything, or an employee that knows
everything
and can't be taught anything?

RogerN
When I was in business, I would never hire anyone who had been in a
union.

Steve
Too bad, I was in a union and the most important lesson I learned was
how bad they were.

But you wouldn't hire me in spite of my having learned my lesson.

David
I remember you. You wanted the break between the application and the
interview.
Nope, I was the guy being told by my fellow union members that my
productivity was making them look bad.

They asked, "why do you do more than you have to?"

I replied, "self respect, why would I do less than I can?"

I was not a good union man.

But you are too narrow minded to hire me.

Or for me to want to work for you.

David

David, I was in a union for 37 years.

So less than 20 years of productive work.

I hear you when your fellow workers tell you to slow down, or you're the
first to get laid off because they want to take longer with the slower
ones.

Actually, when the layoffs started, my foreman shipped me out to other
depts which kept me from going before some others with more seniority but
less, or no, work ethic.

I was referring to "good union" men.

Yes, I understand, good union men with no self respect or pride in what
they do.

Sounds like you do not fit that bill.

Thanks.

You probably don't understand that you've complimented me.

David

You did get it, then.

Steve