Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Rethinking my mobile bases

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
I've got a few tools on mobile bases (some aren't anything more than
casters that bolt to tool stands) and this morning added up what this
mobility has cost me (too much for).

I just returned from Northern Tool with a pallet jack (I make pallets,
load 'em up with solar panels for shipment) because it was on sale for
$140 and I've gotten tired of muscling loaded pallets around
single-handed.

Belatedly, I realized that I could have made nice, solid wooden bases for
all the tools now sitting on wheels, and moved them around for cleaning
etc with a pallet jack - and that it could have done double duty by making
it easier to move some of my larger projects around the shop.

I was fretting about the space this thing was going to take up - then
realized that nearly of it can be parked /under/ almost any of my
stationary tools. Duh!

Something more to think about if you're considering buying a mobile base
or two or three...

Alternatively use the method that Laguna and MiniMax use. 2 wheels mounted
to the machine and a Johnson bar with wheels to lift and steer the opposite
end.