Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Best Drill Bit For Gummy Aluminum?

"Doug White" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
. 3.70:

Doug White fired this volley in
:

I'd like to just be able to zip through a
stack of 10 or more blanks, but if I'm in the least bit impatient,
I end up welding the stack together at the holes.

Doug, it would probably be a lot faster to punch those holes with
something like a Roper-Whitney bench-top punch. You can buy a
Chinalloy version for about $30. It should be able to handle four
sheets at a time.

I have a Roper Whitney punch, and drilling is a LOT faster because I
can set up a much thicker stack and the drill bushings make locating
the holes effortless. Even with prying them apart, drilling is a
win. The goal is also to provide the Club with idiot proof tooling
so I don't have to do this in the future. The drill jig is something
anyone with an electric drill can use.

I found that McMaster Carr has split point parabolic drills in 3/32".
I can get them bright, black oxide or TiN. I suspect they will work
better than the plain point fast twist drills I have now. I found
one source that
says black oxide is no good for aluminum, so I will probably try TiN.
I can try coating the drill with a spritz of lube as Ed Huntress
suggested. That will help keep the mess under control.

Doug White

The nice thing about the moly is that it dries. No mess. And it wipes
off easily.

I have a couple of options to try, but they are both greases that may be
a bit messier than what you suggest. I have a tube of mil spec moly
grease for torquing AR-15 barrel nuts, as well as some really high moly
content assembly grease. The tube of mil spec stuff will last a dozen
life times, and is cheaper, so if I go the moly route, I may start with
that. Is there a specific moly spray that you would recommend that
dries?

Doug White

Sorry, but I don't have a recommendation. I haven't had the industrial stuff
for a couple of decades, but it was great stuff.

There are several manufacturers. Here's one, for example:

http://www.thomasnet.com/catalognavi...=1&searchpos=3

You probably can find one at any good hardware store, although the ones I've
been are diluted with graphite or Teflon. Still, I don't think that would be
a problem drilling soft aluminum.

--
Ed Huntress