Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Best Drill Bit For Gummy Aluminum?

On Jan 30, 12:55*pm, Doug White wrote:
.... *The clips are made from soft
aluminum roll flashing, and are held to the frames by a pair of aluminum
nails. *Over time, the frames & clips get shot up, and we have to keep
building new frames & making more clips. *I've made some jigs to help
mass produce the clips. *Part of the process is to drill a stack of the
blanks to make holes for the nails. *The jig I made has two 3/32" steel
drill bushings for this purpose.

TiN coating (the gold-looking drill bits) is intended to keep aluminum
from sticking. There's also a lubricant wax available that you can
keep
by the drill press; a touch of the wax on a drill bit tip lubes the
next
deep hole you drill. Castrol "Stick wax" and LPS "Edge" are brands
in my old Enco catalog.