Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Deck stairs problem

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 22:40:55 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Hello.

We have a wooden deck (walk out from 2nd floor) and wooden stairs down
onto our backyard.

We had it installed about 13 years ago and on one corner of the bottom
of the stairs, brick that supports deck stairs is a bit broken and
that corner is lowered down onto the ground.

(I think the reason was gradually gravity forced this corner down as
that part of soil was maybe weaker than other parts of our yard but I
am just guessing)

You are on the right track. What you have to do is get some solid
support under the steps. I'd support the section and jack it back to
its proper place (put a solid block under the jack). Next I'd
excavate at least six, maybe even 12 inches, then pour in a concrete
base. Give it 24 hours and lower the stair back to the top of the
pad.

Rather than rent jacks, it may be cheaper to buy a coupleof bottle
jacks and use a 2 x 4 as the support.

What he said. I wasn't fully awake when I read the first post, and
thought OP was talking about a corner post for the deck itself.

--
aem sends, overdue for coffee...