Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - iPad in the news today ...

Steve wrote:

On 2010-01-29 22:54:20 -0500, Mark & Juanita said:

Some other things not so cool:
1) No flash support

Flash is the largest cause of freezes in web browsing. Now, If we're
also going to kick about Apple's DRM controlling/limiting access to the
known world, it's worth noting that Flash is proprietary to Adobe.

Plus, Flash just generally sucks, even when used in other Abobe
products. http://adobegripes.tumblr.com/

While that may be true, the fact that a significant portion of web
content is distributed via flash (i.e, YouTube, Viddler, various news
videos), not supporting flash is somewhat debilitating to those using this
device for web browsing.

As of yet, iPod on steroids is a fair summation of the first (and as
yet not on the market) generation iPad. It's not intended as a
computer; it's an information appliance that fits between two market
segments -- the smart phone and the laptop. And Apple has lined up 5
major publishers, and has brought a ray of hope to magazine and
newspaper publishers.

http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/various_ipad_thoughts
http://speirs.org/blog/2010/1/29/future-shock.html
http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/001592.html#001592

In spite of all that, I doubt I'll be buying an iPad. I know I won't be
buying a Kindle. I prefer my books on real real paper, not on aetheric
vapours.

But let's see how it shakes out.

BTW, Sun Microsystems (remember them?) is history.

... and how Oracle will control both the opensource database and Java are
going to be quite interesting. Larry Ellison is not known for open-ness

Rob Leatham