Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default OT - iPad in the news today ...

On 1/30/2010 2:22 AM, Steve wrote:
On 2010-01-29 22:54:20 -0500, Mark & Juanita said:

Some other things not so cool:
1) No flash support

Flash is the largest cause of freezes in web browsing. Now, If we're
also going to kick about Apple's DRM controlling/limiting access to the
known world, it's worth noting that Flash is proprietary to Adobe.

Plus, Flash just generally sucks, even when used in other Abobe
products. http://adobegripes.tumblr.com/

According to Dvorak, et al, in "Cranky Geeks" this week, Adobe is dying
to get flash onto the iPad, but the megalomaniac Jobs will have none of it.

http://www.crankygeeks.com/2010/01/e...pad_tablet.php

I personally think the iPad, or more to the point, its future
iterations, may have a better shot at overall acceptance as an e-book
reader, among its many other capabilities, than the Kindle or Nook in
the long run.

I've been into e-book reader technology since the early 90's and am
continually amazed at the re-inventing of the wheel of the likes of
Amazon, B&N, and Sony, and their failure to take the past "lessons
learned" of Nuvo Media, Franklin and GemStar into account in their
current business models.

In my opinion, the iTunes store, with its content delivery, will make
the difference with the iPad, despite the DRM concerns.

I have two albums myself for sale on iTunes, and a number in which I was
involved in the production, and have been more than happy with their
returns with Apple's "DRM free" performance on Itunes.

It should also lend itself to future use in schools, with textbook
content a likely possibility, and with a much better chance of adherence
to the ADA than the current crop of devices.

I also like the fact that the iPad is NOT e-ink technology. The LED
screen means I can view it at night, in bed, without a separate night
light, and that it will turn itself off after a period of non use. It is
also more eco friendly ... IME, it's the little 'convenience of use'
issues like that can make the difference between success and failure
with this type of technology.

Basically, it appears to me that the iPad could well be the first step
on the path to making this type of techology, and it benefits, ubiquitous.

Jobs, unlike other players in the game, seems to always build upon past
successes ... it is this "standing on the shoulders of the giants who
came before" that seperate his particular vision from the pack, like him
or not.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08