Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A new "constitutional right"

On Jan 30, 5:59*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Perhaps the most important question that one might ask in the wake of
Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission is: are labor unions as free
as corporations to spend as much as they wish -- independently of
candidates -- to influence elections to Congress and the White House? *The
likely answer is: Probably, but check back later."

As I read the decision it struck down the limits on both Corporations
and Unions. Since the decision was made on a case involving a
corporation, corporations are mentioned more than Unions. But it
seems pretty clear to me that it affects both unions and
corporations. Excerpt from Wiki follows:
The decision is too long to post here.

Dan

The Court's decision struck down a provision of the McCain-Feingold
Act that banned for-profit and not-for-profit corporations and unions
from broadcasting “electioneering communications” in the 30 days
before a presidential primary and in the 60 days before the general
elections.[2] The decision completely overruled Austin v. Michigan
Chamber of Commerce (1990) and partially overruled McConnell v.
Federal Election Commission (2003).[4] The decision upheld the
requirements for disclaimer and disclosure by sponsors of
advertisements, and the ban on direct contributions from corporations
or unions to candidates, in part IV.[5]