Hylourgos

Default Silly Question about Jigs - --

CW,

I'm not certain but I'll give it a shot. In the same vein as
California's recent attempt to remove hurtful and politically
incorrect language (e.g., slave, as in "slave-cylinder"--gotta laugh
at that one) from all areas of public discourse, POW imagines that the
other WW's "knowing look" was the product of his own (racist)
politically correct ideology, stemming from his understanding of the
word jig as a racial derogatory (shortened form of "jigaboo"). A
kinder judgment of the other WW might see him as trying to be (overly)
sensitive, but I guess it depends where you stand on the "politically
correct" issue.

Jig has been a common term among rednecks for a long time. See a brief
explanation of it, and other such, at:

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml

H.

"CW" wrote in message news:KYvCb.331162$Dw6.1111058@attbi_s02...
I haven't a clue what the hell you are talking about.
"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message
His "knowing look" probably had more to do with the racial connotation

that
jig carries. Pretty silly to my way of thinking, in this day and time.

In
my experience the "knowing look" is usually accompanied by a snicker or

SEG,
and usually comes from a racist. Flames welcomed.

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.bill.pounds.net/woodshop

"MHaseltine" wrote in message
Last Saturday I was at an auction and was looking at the tools which

happened
to be inside . Another person was also broswing. The owner had made a

number
of wodden jigs for his table saw ranging from a miter sled to a

tennoning
jig.
Just to make conversation with the other person, I stated that the owner

and
been rather prolific and had a lot of jigs to go with the saw. The

person
gave
me that knowing look and said "their fixtures - you need to be careful

and
not
call fixtures jigs" Well, my response was I'm a bit of a newbie at his

(which
is true) but everything I have read and heard refers to these things as

jigs -
fixtures is a new way of naming these things"

Well, my silly question is, "Are these jigs or fixtures?"

Michael