Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Darkening cherry bowls

I have sold some walnut at a gallery, and got good prices ($400 to $800) for
pieces that featured a mixture of dark and light wood with a mirror like
lacquer finish - in my case the light color came from rot, not immaturity,
but it was quite spectacular (and took quite a bit of CA glue to get it hard
enough to hold up so I could finish it)

so, my suggestion is to not dye it dark

"Bob Daun" wrote in message
. ..
Do not really want to prolong this thread too far but I have
another question to throw out. What about turning immature black walnut.
It has a lot of grain but not the typical walnut color. Is there a way to
treat a bowl turned with immature walnut to convert it to the typical
Brown color. I tried ammonia but it didn't seem to have any effect.