Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A Test for young people

On Jan 28, 1:08*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
On 01/28/10 12:25 pm, Zootal wrote:

11. You buy an item for $1.27. You hand the clerk two dollars. Without a
using a calculator, how much change should you get back?

We've seen kids at a cash register practically in tears trying to make
change when the power went out.

Most store these days have no provision for selling anything without
using the UPC scanner, quite apart from the onerous task of figuring out
the change. Even writing down the UPC no. on a piece of paper doesn't
work, because the store identifies an item not by the UPC but by the SKU
-- and only the computer system knows how they are related.

Here in Michigan, nearly everything is required to have a human-
readable
price tag. Most of our consumer protection was gutted in the last
15 or 20 years, but by gum we're protected from not knowing what the
price is once we've left the aisle where we picked the thing up.

Cindy Hamilton