Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fender washers.... funny thing...

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:14:38 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Awl --

So ahm lookin fer fender washers at a good local hardware store -- imagine
DAT -- and readily find what I'm looking for, 1/4 x 1".

Loose, they go for 16c each.... holy ****.....

A 5# box, which I estimate holds about 1,000, cost $14 -- a price diff of a
factor of 10!

SO, even tho I only needed one, I bought the box....

But, dats not the inneresting part.

In the box, I noticed that there were some wide variations in thickness.
Off the cuff, I found one that was .054, and another that was .074.
Visually, the thicker one looks TWICE as thick as the thinner one.

So, from whence cometh this big big diff in thickness? I assume these are
all being punched from sheet, and sheet thicknesses are usually within a
cupla thou, afaik.

Whazzup?

Punched from scrap in CHINA?? Or possibly Mexico.