Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Direct Energy natural gas plan (Ontario, Canada) - list of overcharge noticed

wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:16:09 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

wrote in message
Hi, All.

We are in Ontario, Canada and are serviced by Union gas for home
heating and I had been locking natural gas price through Direct
Energy.

After first five years terms, we re-locked the price at 31.2 cents per
cubic meter about 2-3 years ago. And as u all know, natural price had
plummeted to point lowest in 7 years. Union gas natural gas price
(for those without Direct energy) is at 19.84 cents per cubic meter.
Well, sucks me and those who locked it anywhere above 25 cents per
cubic meter.

But those rants aside, I came across the fact that Direct Energy
raised transportation charge from 4.9 c/m3 at beginning of 2008 to 5.9
c/m3 and then again to 6.9 c/m3 in may of 2008. In terms of storage
charge, they raised to ~1 c/m3 to ~2 c/m3 back in Aug of 2008.

Well because of obvious reason (operation cost, gas used for
transportation), those prices had to go up but Union gas provides it
at 4.27 c/m3 for transportation and ~1 c/m3 for storage as of Jan
2010.

In fact, just two years ago, difference between union gas and direct
energy for transportation fee was not that much and storage fee were
nearly even.

I understand needs of transportation/storage for gas delivered by
Direct Energy from supplier to Union gas would be different than
transportation/storage needs of Union gas but it was very similar two
years ago.

Now difference from combined expense is nearly 3 cents per cubic
meter, I have to think that Direct Energy who tried to keep it at
level w Union Gas/Embridge is now trying to squeeze extra profits out
of it by passing the cost onto customers who never agreed on
overpaying for transportation/storage fee other than agreeing on fixed
gas price.

I have filed complaints to customer service but I am wondering how
many of u out there are having same problems and if there is anyone
with suggestions on how to pursuit this if customer service guys will
not be willing to resolve this.

-J

If you have heard the news, Ontario Hydro is the next one to hit you with
extra charges.

Actually there is no such thing as Ontario Hydro any more.
There is OPG, Hydro One, and the local hydro utilities.

But when time of use charges go into effect with the SmartMeter those
possible savings will NOT be available to the poor suckers tied to
Direct Enery and most of the other re-marketers.

What savings, only the politicians claimed we would be able to save money.
Now it appears that you and I will get to pay current rates plus any added
price increases for power used in the wee hours of the day, while prime time
in early evening will be off the charts in cost and daytime rates will only
be exorbitant when we will be trying to cool our houses with our air
conditioners and run our businesses. Of course power rates will have to go
up to pay for these so called SmartMeters.

Yes, Ontario Hydro changed its name to convince us that it is different, but
after many decades my feeble old brain still calls up the old name when I
want to refer to them.

Direct Energy -- I avoid them. I love to watch their student door-to-door
sales reps go running after they give me a misleading sales pitch to try to
get me to sign a Natural Gas contract. I flash my Enbridge/Consumers Gas
I.D. card at them as I tell them that they are not going to look at my gas
bill.